Not long after Patrick Corkery and his new bride settled into their house and farm in Maulagowna, looking over at the spectacular view afforded them by the Gleninchaquin waterfall, they found they could also see when looking across the valley, the house of their new in-laws. Patrick Corkery and Thomas O’Shea had married two sisters from near Lauragh, and set up home across the valley from each other.
Corkery had his farm direct from Lord Landsdowne; O’Shea rented his holding from one John O’Sullivan, the local Cearharnach or middleman. The O’Sheas lived here for a number of years, and several of their children were born here. Sometime just before the turn of the century, perhaps about 1895, this family were evicted from their holding, and the building was knocked down.
In the intervening one hundred years, no one has lived or farmed the small holding, with the result that the bracken has grown high enough to cover not only the walls of the small field system that surrounds the house, but also the pile of rubble that once housed a family. Now that the bracken is being cleared away, one can see the exact layout of the fields as they used to be.